Florida Health Information Management Association
FHIMA’s mission is to support and promote health information management professionals by advancing best practices through education, technology, professional development, leadership, advocacy, and communication. FHIMA is seeking a Continuing Education Facilitator to continue to support our mission. The position will be a part time, remote role with an estimate of 20 hours per week. The candidate would be responsible for creating and coordinating educational workshops (online and/or in-person), relevant to the HIM profession. The candidate should have a minimum of 3 years of Coding/HIM work experience with strong training background in HIM, coding, and/or reimbursement. FHIMA is also seeking a candidate with a minimum of 2-5 years of experience in creating and/or conducting professional development education or training. A CCS and/or CCS-P certification is preferred and/or other relevant HIM credentials. The candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills. If you have enthusiasm for education and training and the HIM and coding profession apply today!
The Continuing Education Facilitator is responsible for managing and developing online and onsite course material delivered by FHIMA, awarding continuing education credits for approval.
- The Continuing Education Facilitator shall be selected and appointed by the President to serve a one (1) year term. Contract dates to coincide with the FHIMA fiscal year, July 1 – June 30.
- The Continuing Education Facilitator reports directly to the FHIMA Executive Director.
- The Continuing Education Facilitator shall collaborate with Coding Roundtable Chair and/or their committee at least monthly.
- The Continuing Education Facilitator shall participate in Board of Directors Meetings as requested.
- Facilitate FHIMA Online Education Courses:
- RHIA/RHIT Exam Prep
- ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Coding Course
- ICD-10-PCS/CPT Procedure Coding Course
- Other courses as determined by the FHIMA Board of Directors
- Develop and revise course content and training material on an on-going basis with assistance from Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in accordance with any related strategic goals.
- Develop a schedule of courses to be offered.
- Create registration page with website and registration vendor (see specific responsibilities) using information submitted on Educational event form.
- Course development & revisions based on AHIMA Core Content areas.
- Develop course materials, including lectures, lecture notes, testing resources, test-prep, test taking skills, etc.
- Provide explanations to inquiries regarding course materials or content.
- Review all requests for continuing education (CE) hours for training programs, workshops and seminars.
- Award continuing education credits in accordance with the guidelines provided by AHIMA.
- Identify core content areas
- Maintain a spreadsheet of all CE hours approved with all Core Content areas for each meeting
- Work with Executive Director to maintain final financial summary, registration/attendance rosters and CEU certificates within this spreadsheet for quarterly reporting to the Governance Team.
- Assist Continuing Education Chair with preparing reports for Board of Director’s meetings.
Specific Responsibilities for Online Courses:
- Continuing Education Facilitator communicates with Executive Director or staff to determine which courses will be offered, number of CEUs to be earned, pricing and general time frame (dates) of courses.
- Continuing Education Facilitator will determine specific start dates for each course and provide to Executive Director for approval.. [This is usually confirmed about 3-4 months prior to actual start dates via the use of a calendar schedule.]
- Facilitator will create course registration via Knowledgeconnex portal using course information sheet and CEU template, complete with Prior Approval number. [approximately 4-6 weeks prior to start date of course].
- Continuing Education Facilitator will create or collaborate with Subject Matter Experts if needed to develop description for any new course development and/or adjust existing descriptions if any of the existing courses are dramatically changed as well as developing course materials. Description will be used in marketing materials.
- Course(s) must be created/updated and ready for participants at least 72 hours prior to the official start date. Facilitator will send out personalized email invitations from within course to each paid participant. [Each coursesites.com course will have a unique link for each user to create their own user id and password]. – ICD-10-CM & ICD-10-PCS courses [Each invitation has a unique code embedded.]
- Facilitator will check each course Discussion Forum every 24 – 48 hours and respond to any questions asked by participants. Facilitator also to provide email to participants for questions. Emails should be responded to within 24-48 hours.
- Course Announcements: Each week, the facilitator will post weekly announcements within the course and one week prior to the end of the course, post an Announcement reminding participants of the closing of the course.
- On the day after the closing of the course, chair will download and save the Gradebook from the course. KnowledgeConnex staff will send over course roster and ask facilitator to make note of completers and highlight any no shows. A completer is defined as passing ALL CEU Quizzes with a score of 80% or higher. Facilitator will provide this list to KnowledgeConnex for emailing out of CEUs with a copy to FHIMA staff and will also post in Basecamp for record keeping purposes.
- Facilitator will remove enrollees from the course so they can no longer have access to the course; unless an extension has been granted to certain students, which would be noted on the course roster list.
- Facilitator is responsible for working with KnowledgeConnex and FHIMA staff to get distribute CEUs for all completers.
www.CourseSites.com is the site we use for most web courses. Sign up is free, as Instructor or Student for up to 5 courses. After logging in, step-by-step instructions, tutorials, and help are available.
Training & Support:
- FHIMA provides training annually for any responsibilities of this role.
- The Executive Director is available to provide support as needed in carrying out the duties of this role.
- Active member of AHIMA, preferred member of FHIMA.
- Must hold RHIA or RHIT credential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively lead and motivate course enrollees.
- Minimum two-years teaching experience at a community college, public or private University using an online environment, preferably Blackboard LMS, McGraw-Hill Connect, lecture recording software (Camtasia, Webex).
Preferred Qualifications: Education Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Health Information Management, Adult Education or related field, preferred.
- Additional credentials preferred: CCS/CCS-P/CDIP/CPC/CHDA
This is a contract position with FHIMA. At times, the Continuing Education Facilitator may be asked to attend FHIMA events or educational meetings. When this occurs, any expenses incurred related to travel shall be reimbursed by FHIMA to the individual as approved.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please send cover letters and resumes to FHIMA Executive Director Dee Kring, CAE, CMP at email@example.com.