University of Miami
The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Supervisor, Outpatient Coding at the University of Miami is responsible for reviewing and supervising the clinical documentation contained in the UHealth patient health records (regardless of medium in which the patient documentation is maintained) to accurately assign and sequence ICD-9/ICD-10-CM diagnostic and/or CPT E&M and procedural codes to outpatient records for use in reimbursement and data collection. Codes non-invasive ancillary test accounts and Emergency Department encounters.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Verifies patient information to identify any documentation and/or report discrepancies and to ensure codes and other abstracted data are accurately applied to appropriate patient’s account/encounter.
- While reviewing the record for coding purposes, serves as quality reviewer of scanned documents. Identifies mis-scans and poorly scanned documents; promptly reports findings to the Outpatient Coding Integrity Manager or Scanning Manager.
- Assesses documentation and/or queries physician for additional information when indicated to clarify or provide specificity to a diagnosis, symptom, or reason for services provided to ensure the organization receives its entitled reimbursement for care provided. Collaborates with others in the organization including Medical Staff and other clinicians to ensure the record accurately documents the services provided and to identify documentation trends that can prospectively address deficiencies.
- Converts the documented clinical information into applicable diagnostic and procedure codes. Codes and abstracts medical records to provide information for financial reimbursement, meaningful use, state and federal registries, and strategic planning data collection purposes.
- Accurately assigns and sequences ICD-9/ICD-10CM diagnostic and/or CPT E&M and procedural codes to outpatient records for use in reimbursement and data collection.
- Ensures the accurate assignment of APCs for outpatient encounters.
- Understands and complies with policies and procedures related to medico-legal matters including confidentiality, amendment of medical records, release of information, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence, informed consent, etc.
- Recognizes and reports unusual circumstances and/or information with possible risk factors to appropriate risk management personnel and reports problems, errors, and discrepancies in dictation and patient records to the Coding Integrity Manager or Director.
- Attends all required in-services; Identifies and attends training and educational programs conducive to professional growth.
- Utilizes current literature and workshops attended to the benefit of UHealth.
- Routinely volunteers to assist others when his/her work is completed.
- Performs other duties as assigned and requested.
Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent – 3+ years coding experience and a minimum of 1 year supervisory experience. Previous experience with EPIC as well as certification in RHIT, RHIA OR Certified Coding Professional.
Hospital Surgery Coding experience required
Apply Online: https://miami.edu/careers